Monday 30 September 2013

Cutting Chai with Bhawana Somaaya - Day 201


Acknowledging Transgender community   
30.9.2013, Mumbai  

“I think I am ‘abnormal’ because, being a man, I am attracted to other men…”
“My family is pressurizing me to get married to a woman and have a family…”

“I feel isolated and depressed because of discrimination I face due to my sexual identity…”

 “I have been sexually abused and I am too scared to confide this with anyone…”
“I have an infection in my private parts and feel ashamed to go to my family doctor…”
“I have had unprotected sex with a stranger, and I am worried what I should do…”

These are some of the questions and fears, many men who have sex with men usually face, and they do not know whom to turn to. A new 24 hours by 7 days helpline has been started to address this very important aspect and provide crucial information and counseling.  Sahaay Helpline can be accessed by dialing the toll-free number 1800-2000-113. While the July 2nd 2009 Delhi High Court verdict read down Sec377 of IPC, effectively decriminalizing homosexuality, brought forward the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender(LGBT) community more openly talking about gender and sexuality, these have primarily been in the four large metros like Bangalore, Mumbai, New Delhi and Kolkata. In other cities and in smaller towns, the LGBT community is still pretty much underground and largely invisible. Gay men and lesbian women are still being forced into marriages with members of the opposite sex and transgender face acute discrimination. Most of them do not know whom to turn to or seek help from.

To address this, and provide services for the hidden community of men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender, a new helpline offers round the clock information and counseling on HIV/AIDS, STI & psycho social and legal issues.  If the helpline is found useful, Sahaay Project will advocate with Department of AIDS Control in implementing it across the country. For any information regarding the helpline itself, one may write to sahaayonline@gmail.com or stay in touch on face book at https://www.facebook.com/Sahaay.Helpline
BhawanaSomaaya / @bhawanasomaaya
 

No comments:

Post a Comment