Wednesday 11 September 2013

Cutting Chai with Bhawana Somaaya - Day 189



Travel light 


11.9.2013, Mumbai


‘Dear friend’, says the grand old dadi Janki of Bhrama Kumari. ‘Two powers are very important on a spiritual journey:  the power to pack up and the power to merge.  It is not just what you say but how you say it is important as well. Most people have significant things to say, but most of them also have the habit of expanding the thought and taking too long to come to the point. Somehow, we have the habit of exaggerating a small issue into a big issue when infact our effort should be to try and make the big issues appear small.  A person setting on a journey cannot pack all his possessions and has to recognize the essential things he needs to take with him. Similarly on a spiritual journey, the first thing we will need to pack with us will be our past actions. 



Just as on a physical journey, we need a guide to show us around the new town or city, on a spiritual journey we need a guide – God who will lead us at every step. Therefore, the focus of our attention at every step should be on Him. What we don’t realize is that we don’t need to worry about anything on this journey because everything I will need there already exists but yes, I need to pack all my thoughts. Words and deeds – even those that occurred few minutes ago – and the process of accumulation continue till I reach my destination.  I have to therefore be conscious about my quality of thoughts, my quality of time including the quality of my breath.  So, ask yourself if your qualities of thoughts are something you are content with and if not, this is the time to to improve.’

Bhawana Somaaya / @ bhawanasomaaya
 

No comments:

Post a Comment