Thursday 18 July 2013

Cutting Chai with Bhawana Somaaya - Day 153

Shivam ka Nasha
18.7.2013, Mumbai

There is nothing more infectious than the enthusiasm of a newcomer and even though I have writing about cinema for decades, I still get drawn into their web of dreams. Similarly, there is nothing more touching than the concern of a parent whose child is on the threshold of a career and even though I’ve witnessed many such anxious moments, I still feel moved by their outpourings.


I first met Dr Mrunalini Patilmany years ago while serving on The Central Board of Certificate. We
shared many committees together and that’s when I learnt that she had put her medical career to pursue her long time dream, filmmaking.

Mrunalini directed Marathi film Manthan that not just won her critical acclaim but got her new projects as well. A few years ago, she became my neighbour when came to live in my building and I discovered that her son Shivam is a terrific dancer and a budding actor training under Barry John. We got accustomed to watching Shivam in all kinds of commercials ranging from Airtel, McDonalds, Coke, Eno to Tic Tac and to be fair the young boy made an impression in all.

Sometimes, I would bump into Shivam in the elevator and he would update me of his progress in career.  He debuted with Bejoy Nambiar in MTV’s Rush and was ecstatic when Jism director Amit Saxena signed him for Nasha opposite Kingfisher model Poonam Pandey.

Yesterday, I bumped into Shivam again and he took me home to show me his poster and promo of the film. Releasing on 26 July Nasha is a prime example of a film made by independent producer and what is commendable, all territories pre-sold before release.

So not many people know about Shivam as of now, but neither did they about John Abraham and Bipasha Basu till directorAmit Saxena made them stars in Jism. It can happen again, everything is possible in show business!

Bhawana Somaaya/ @bhawanasomaaya

2 comments: